Ping Tracker

Sunday, December 11, 2011

New Video and the Peace Corps

Hello, there!

I'm back again, and I actually have a new video! Well.....it's not really a new video, it's more of a hey-what-is-this-video-file-Oh-Holy-Crap-forgot-to-upload-that-to-YouTube video.

So, yeah, this is from my visit to Beijing's Summer Palace, which was my last tourist stop before I left China.

Enjoy!



Anyway, I hope you enjoyed that. I did.  It's always nice to do vlogs while I'm out and about -- it helps me feel I'm not by myself. (I like being myself, so don't feel sorry for me or anything----do you care that much? I dunno, oh well, continue!)

------------------------------------------------------

So I finally got my paperwork submitted to the Peace Corps!! It was a freaking long process due to the fact that I got really busy with work, had to wait on some people for my letters of recommendation, had to place some calls to find out exactly what stuff to put where, and that kind of thing. It didn't help that the application itself was like 93, 870 pages long. Not really....but it was long.

[For those of you who don't know, the Peace Corps is a volunteer organization that is funded by the American government. People apply for a region/country, and are selected as needed based on their qualifications. They can do anything from teaching English, helping farmers, working in the health field, doing community development, and more. It offers great benefits to volunteers and doesn't cost anything to serve. After 3 months of in-country language training and orientation, you do 2 years of work in your area!]

So, what happens now? Now, I'll be talking about the Peace Corps for the rest of the post.

I decided to apply for the Peace Corps for a number of reasons:

1. I've never really volunteered to do anything in my life that took longer than a few days, and I want to finally get off my butt and go help some people. I'm so comfortable in America, and the most I've done is give a few bucks to charities when I know for a fact that there are people who would kill to be in my shoes.

2. It's freaking China!!! Come on!!

3. Being selfish. I loved every second of my experience in China, even the super awkward and difficult times, and I want to experience it again.

4. The Peace Corps offers a chance for a true life-changing experience. I'll get to hang out with students and locals, improve my Chinese, learn more about China and its people, and come home with some really crazy stories.

5. Something about the 9-5 work day just doesn't appeal to me anymore after being in China. I don't really want to be a professor of Chinese history like I used to want to be....if I was going to be a professor, I would teach Chinese. I might even want to write some books. Actually, I was going to write a book, but it turned into a bunch of blog posts instead!
        5-a. I do enjoy my job (I do audio-visual tech work in the Dallas, TX area, but I want more.
        5-b. I'm not trying to insult anyone who has a 9-5. It's not bad or anything...it's just not me.

6. I want to experience the challenge of another culture again. I want to connect with people who are different than me and I want to get a taste of what it's like to live in China. Not just study for a semester like I did, but live and work for two years.

That would just be great.

3 comments:

  1. huh, you do know that there is a possibility that PC will NOT send you to China, right? Just saying that again because you might be disappointed if they send you to Kazakstan or Peru....
    Since you do speak Chinese there is a higher chance that they'll send you to China but... sometimes the machine works in a weird way. I mean, French is my mother tongue and I was send to China to teach English for example... Anyway, hope you get sent there, but don't forget the world is much bigger than China and the U.S. :D
    Good luck!
    Mathilde

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know they could send me anywhere they want to, but I'm still crossing my fingers to go back to China - China's where I've been building my "house" for the past 2 or 3 years in my studies and language skills, and it's a place I truly love.

    We'll see what happens. I'll be thrilled just to be accepted and it'd be a huge opportunity to volunteer (something I've been wanting to do for a while), but I'd really rather not go anywhere in Latin America. Freaking anywhere but Latin America!! Kazakhstan would be really badass, actually haha

    If I get in, great! If I don't, then I can find another organization that'll put wherever. I kind of want to go to Uganda since one of my friends has been telling me all about it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, cool. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the big question mark with location assignment lol
    Why anywhere but Latin America? Latin America is a freakin awesome place!
    Anyway, will be curious to see where you end up. Got an interview yet?
    Cheers
    Mathilde

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...